Things that we expect to do during the semester.
- Give you the basics of research
- Make a research paper chapters 1-3
- Conduct title defense
- Conduct design hearing with select CAS faculty.
Research defined as a systematic inquiry that uses disciplined methods to answer questions or solve problems (Polit & Beck, 2013).
How to select a good title for a research (Creswell, 2013)
-Based on personal experience, interest, expertize, comfortability, and identify your audience.
The Three research designs. (Creswell, 2012)
- Quantitative studies concepts, variables, constructs data is purely numerical, uses relational (cause and effect, functional relationships) perspective. Participants are called respondents, uses questionnaire or other tools.
- Qualitative studies phenomena, concepts; narrative in nature, seeks to find patters of association. Participants are called Informants or Key Informants. Uses Inductive Reasoning.
- Mixed approach - a combination of the two other designs.
The Four Major philosophical approaches (Cresswell, 2002)
These should be added in your theoretical/philosophical/conceptual approach in Chapter one. Your paper must reflect who are the main proponents and discuss how these view affects the way you make your paper.
- Post positivity uses determination, reduction, empirical observation and research, theory verification. For Quantitative Researches only.
- Constructivism - uses understanding, multiple participant meaning, social and historical construction. Focuses on theory generation FOR QUALITATIVE Studies only.
- Transformative - Political, power, justice oriented, collaborative, change oriented FOR QUANTITATIVE research.
- Pragmatism - focuses on consequence of actions, problem centered, pluralistic, real word and practice oriented. FOR MIXED APPROACH only.
Creswell, J. W. (2002). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative.
Creswell, J. W. (2013). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Sage.
Creswell, J. W. (2012). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Thousand Oaks: Sage publications.
Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2013). Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice. Philippines: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.